Act II was very interesting. We got a love confession from Dr. Rank, and a 'scary' threat from Krogstad. Let's start with Dr. Rank.
Dr. Rank is an old family friend, he has terminal tuberculosis and is dying. He came to tell Nora and Helmer the he is dying and will soon send them a letter with a cross signifying his death. But Nora had other plans for him. Before she was able to he confessed his love for her, unintentionally making things awkward between them and harder for Nora to ask for help. She, of course, rejected him. "Oh, how can I tell what I knew or didn't know? 1 really can't say-- how could you be so clumsy, Dr. Rank ? It was all so nice!" (Ibsen) I feel like deep down Nora truly loved Rank but chose to be with Helmer instead. What do you guys think?
Nora's reaction.
Krogstad is known as the 'criminal' because of a single mistake he did. To save his job and get back his name he is blackmailing Nora for owing him money and forging her fathers signature. He is determined to get what he wants. I honestly don't think he's a bad person, just desperate. A broken man falling into the wrong path. "l'll tell you. I want to regain my footing in the world. I want to rise; and your husband shall help me to do it. For the last eighteen months my record has been spotless; I've been in bitter need all time, but I was content to fight my way up, step by step. Now, I've been thrown down, and I won't be satisfied with merely being allowed to sneak back again. I want to rise, I tell you. I must get into the bank again, in a higher position than before. Your husband shall crate a place on purpose for me--" (Ibsen)
How Krogstad feels.



I agree that Krogstad isn't such a bad person. He just did bad things out of desperation. But I think Nora loves Helmer more than Dr. Rank because Helmer reminds her of her father. So she is more comfortable with Helmer than with Dr.Rank.
ReplyDeleteI think Nora loves Dr.Rank, but not in the way he wants her too. She sees him as someone who she can be completely different with, someone who doesn't treat her like a doll they can play with and control. I agree that Krogstad isn't a bad guy, he does what he can to get by with the hand he was dealt with.
ReplyDeleteHey, I love your memes. But to talk about the story I believe that the equal ground between Dr.Rank and Nora shows they would make a way better couple than her and Helmer are. Considering how much more open she is with him and doesn't have to filter what she says. As for Krogstad I don't think he's that bad of a guy, he sorta just needs to get bad to the top in life after being pushed down so much.
ReplyDelete